Sunday 25 January 2009

Exciting Times

We are at a really exciting point in the family history research calendar - this week the 1911 beta census went online. Aren't I sad?? Whilst relatively expensive at present with its search free/view pricey, I just couldn't wait to see where ggrandfather Michael Kennedy had taken himself off to. I found him on the census in the workhouse! It was the last place I expected him to be, and I felt saddened by this. I consoled myself with thinking that he might have been in the hospital part. He did die there, I knew, but that was about 15 years later! Second shock followed fast. Four or so lines above Michael's entry was an entry for his brother John! Last I knew of him, he'd emigrated to New York with his wife and co. Checking my dates, I found that he had died in 1914, in England! What was going on?? Two more shocks soon reared their heads - marital status for Michael stated married!! When was this, and to whom, and where? Something else to check out! John's status was widower! When and where had this happened? Did I need all this extra work? Shall really have to get down to it. The plot thickens.

No comments: